Sunday, October 18, 2009

Phanic

Since today is a Sunday, I went to play phanic at two. Today's phanic was different from last weeks for two reasons: It was a nice day, so more people showed up, and we had pictures taken of us.

A photographer from the Torch, the school newspaper, showed up to take pictures for a story they are doing. It is going to be about ultimate (Frisbee), also. If I reslease too much information, they threatened to kill me, so I can't say much more, but if anyone is reading this, be sure to check out that article.

On another subject, there were some pretty cool plays today. The first half, which was played to 3 points, was a close 2-3. the north team (in reference to the goal post they guarded), was ahead 2-1, when the south team came back with a point to even it all out. Soon after this goal, Dan, the south team's main offensive player, came running down, bouncing the ball. There were three players between him and the goal. He got passed the two defenders, but somewhat lost control of the ball. It was just me and him, just in front of the goal. A goal would've been very easy for him, except he hit the ball too far when passing the defenders. I thought I could get to the ball before him, in which case I could have picked it up and chucked it at least half the field away, but he dove for the ball, and swung his racket so that he made a perfect side shot on the goal. This was the end of that half. We all headed down to the south side of the field to take a quick break.

The second half would be to only one point. This was because a bunch the girls playing had to leave soon. We switched sides, but I will continue to refer the team names to the original 'south' and 'north' names. The north team, which I was on, started with the ball. We had a lot of trouble getting very far. The south team, however, got in positions to shoot around five close shots. Our homie (phanic term for goalie) was new to the position, and only luckily blocked most of those shots. I later realized how poorly we were playing defense, because one goal is the half in that game. Eventually, a couple of players on the north team got the ball down field, and the ball got passed to me. I did not catch the ball. The ball instead landed about 5 yards from where I stood, and about 15 yards from the goal. There was a defender standing the same distance from the ball, right beside me, between me and the goal. Since the homie was currently not guarding the goal, I decided to try to beat the defender to the ball, and shoot the ball straight off the ground, like a golf swing. I narrowly beat the defender to the ball, and as I hit the ball, I also hit the racket of the defender. If she had been 4 inches further, she would have blocked the hit. Finally, I made the goal. This tied the game up, and ended the game.

Since the photographer was still there, and we had a great idea last week, three of us decided to stay. The idea was to make some artificial action shots. We ended up not doing this, because it would be hard to effectively make it look real, but instead played some one versus one. Dan and I played against each other, with Ethan playing all time homie (he did that voluntarily, I can assure you). We played half court so that the pictures would be closer up and easier to capture. The photographer never showed us the pictures, so we aren't sure just how good they were. I suppose I can only hope that they look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment