Thursday, October 29, 2009

CDs

Today I came home from school and almost imediately started working on homework. Soon after I got home, my mom came home. She started her normal routine, which included listening to messages. There was a message from the library that I heard, that was for me. My reserved CD was available!

About two weeks ago, I had a great idea. I would make one blank CD into my music CD. I would put all sorts of songs that I love onto this CD. Since I had already made a list of songs that I like(I get bored in class...), I thought it would be very easy. I would look in my dad's CD collection and find all the songs I wanted. Any that he didn't have could be easily checked out from the Hiawatha library. I thought that my plan was perfect.

First, I had to find a CD. This was the first time I questioned how perfect my plan was; I couldn't find a blank CD. But after I asked my dad, I found one. I then went to my mom's laptop. I had already extracted around fifty CDs onto the laptop. I had some trouble finding the songs I wanted, but eventually got them into a list on the computer. The problem I then faced was putting the onto the CD. Windows Media Player said that I didn't have a CD in the computer. I checked, and reassured myself that I did. I ended up copying a song from the computer to the CD, but I don't think it will work because it is in a computer format that my CD player will probably not recognize. I decided to postpone the idea.

I thought that I shouldn't worry about getting the songs onto the CD until I get all the songs onto the computer. To get the rest of the songs, I headed to the library. The library's stock of CDs was not what I had expected. They had a lot of CDs, but I hadn't heard of most of the artists. I decided to look for someone I did know, but not very well. I selected a few CDs and checked them out. When I got into my car, I started listening to them.

I loved being able to change the song whenever I wanted to, or even re-listen if I wanted. I never listened to CDs much in my car. I never put the songs on the computer when I got home. I left the CDs in my car. When they were a couple days from due, I decided to bring them back. While I was at the library, I got a few more CDs.

Today, at the library, I saw a woman who was talking to the librariam. She was trying to check out two movies, I believe. While I was waiting in line, I overheard that she had seventeen items checked out. Two were due today, but she had already returned them. I thought that this must be hard to keep track of, and realized that my idea was correct when the librarian told her about her fine. But this complication was not the thing I was focused on most. I had a mew idea. I could check out movies and watch them, just like she was doing. This, in addition to the CDs, seems like exploitation to the library. But I guess they kind of want that to happen. That is why we have libraries, after all.

I am on my third set of CDs now, and am starting to listen to bands I have heard of, but never, to my knowledge, heard. Currently I have Counting Crows and Bon Jovi. I have heard songs from both, but only a select few. I plan on using the library a lot while I am a student. This will be nice, because I can get books, CDs, and even movies for free. A drawback is that I cannot have the forever, but I get to have a variety of material. This will help to have fun, but still save some money for paying for college.

No comments:

Post a Comment