Sunday, October 4, 2009

Of Caring

What is it that we care about? What is the personal gain connected to each thing or person we care for? Can we truly care about it? No need to stand up, I will provide examples.

I care about my parents. If they lost their job, I would have less spending money and a harder time paying for college. I don't truly care.

On the contrary.

I care about my parents. One time I dropped some shrub cutters inches from my father's toes. I felt horrible, even though he was fine, and if he wasn't, I wouldn't be hurt or blamed for my wrongdoing, because it was an accident.

And of things I cannot care about.

I care about my car. If it was stolen or damaged, I may not be able to drive myself around nearly as much as I do now. It would be bad for me if my car was stolen or damaged. I do not truly care about my car.

I cannot think of any 'thing' that I truly care about, or any argument to support the claim.

But of animals, there could surely be a case.

My dog is always around whenever I need someone to play with. This is important because I am often lonely and without anyone to talk to, so my dog comforts me. I do not care about my dog, I care that I have something to be with while lonely.

I rescued a skinny, furless cat from an animal shelter. I feel that all living things, other than plants, have a right to live a full, outgoing life. Instead of caging Snuggles into my house, I decided to let her go into the wild.

To truly care about something other than onesself is a difficult endeavor, but if someone can acheive this noble goal, thats sucks for them, because they get nothing out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment