Thursday, October 8, 2009

Free Rice

Yesterday in my 6th period class, United States history, our teacher noticed that we were all tired and lathargic. Since we were done with what we had to do, and had about fifteen minutes to waste, she decided to make us have some fun.

She logged onto her computer in the back corner of the classroom, and googled "free rice". We knew this because she left the projector on after the notes we took. The first link that popped up went to http://www.freerice.com/. She picked a subject, and then we were taking a quiz. I believe the first subject we took was geography. Since I took Human Geography, a riduculously hard class, considering it is only for freshman and is barely worth anything, I had most countries in the world memorized. I think I impressed my teacher when I knew all the Southeast Asia countries by name. I was disapointed, however, that I forgot some insignificant countries, such as Qatar and Uzbekistan.

I, as well as the rest of the class, had a lot of fun playing that game. Before we knew it, we were quizzing ourselves on german and spanish. But without realizing it, we were actually accumulating rice. For every question answered correctly, 10 grains of rice were donated to fight world hunger. After ten minutes, we donated 1120 grains of rice. It is crazy how much rice we could have donated if we all sat down at our own computers and played.

No comments:

Post a Comment