Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jazz Band Embarassment

So, as I said in my previous blog, I got called during bowling practice. It was a kid from jazz band at school. he said that I was already 15 minutes late for a recording session. Of course, I had forgotten about it. I don't know how everyone else remembered it, though. It was a 2 hour delay that day, and the previo0us day had been a snow day, so we hadn't been reminded for over 3 days. But I told the kid that called me that I couldn't come, because my car wouldn't start (which was true!). So, he came and picked me up. This is what shocked me. I play fourth trumpet, which I know is kind of important, but to stall the whole jazz band for 45 minutes seems a little much. But I got back, and made sure that I looked like I felt bad, by not looking at anyone as I walked across the room to get my instrument. The point of that was to make it look like I already felt bad, so Mr. Bird wouldn't have a talk with me afterward, which actually worked! Anyways, as I walked into the room, not only was the whole jazz band waiting for me, but there was also a professional trombone player. He had practiced with us once, to get ready for today. Then I looked around, and there were 4-5 people waiting to record out piece. Also, there were sound dampening boards all over the place (in strategic places, like behind the piano and bass drum). This made me feel much worse. But I did play well.

This experience made me aware of the importance that I can be, and also the responsibility I need to gain (with great power, comes great responsibility -Spiderman's uncle, I think).

No comments:

Post a Comment