Saturday, January 30, 2010

1984

My dad bought 1984 in 1983, to read the future. He figured that it was a good idea, as did most other people, he says. Unfortunately, it isn't that kind of book. I've been reading it for the past few weeks before going to bed. It is a great book so far, and I can't wait to go read some more.

I was talking to my dad about it today, and he said that parts of it seemed very realistic to him. He remembers people talking about how the world had enough nuclear bombs to blow up the world a thousand times over. This was the case in 1984, also.

1984 also brings up new ways of thinking that I have never thought about. One example is that the middle class and high class are always fighting to be the high class, and always switch positions, and always leave the lower class where they are. The way it is explained makes sense, and seems to be correct. I'm not sure yet whether it is true, but it is certainly and idea.

Today I was reading at school in the time in between jazz bands (I was working the microphone volumes), when my band teacher said that I was relieved of my duties. He then asked how Winston was doing. I told him that he was doing just fine. It is fun to read books that other people know and have read. I'm not used to this, but I think I might try to start doing that. It allows me to be able to talk about the books and make references.

This book also makes me think about my life. The restrictive government shown in the book is similar in many ways, it seems, to the rules of society. Many rules and regulations in the book seem to be also implied or said in my life. Of course, the book shows a much more dramatic and dangerous atmosphere, but the concept is the same.

I think I will give this book to a friend of mine, who is grounded very severely. This will let me be able to talk to someone about it, and also help my friend pass time. I think that the ideas of breaking rules and rebelling is potentially harmful, especially in my friend's situation, but 1984 is a good book and I don't feel bad for lending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment