Saturday, January 16, 2010

Bowling

Every Saturday morning at nine o' clock (and yes, that is very early sometimes), I go to my local bowling alley and bowl in a league. I get to bowl 3 games (or 1 series) for seven dollars. I feel like it has helped me greatly.

Today, I went and bowled fairly good, to not so good. I got a first game of 170 (20 above my average), and then I went downhill with a 130 and 100. The reason this happened was because I stopped focusing, I think. After the games, my dad took me out to a pro shop that sells bowling related gear.

We were looking for a ball. The ball I had was 12 pounds. It was also plastic. My brother used to use it, and then it got handed down to me. Since he was left handed, I had to get it re-drilled, but it still wasn't a great ball. I did put spin on the ball, but the amount of spin was very low. Also, because it was light, it didn't get as much 'pin action'.

The owner of this shop showed me the balls he recommended. They were not plastic, but were also not too expensive (for a bowling ball). The cheapest was 100 dollars, but the 120 dollar ball was a bit better than the 100. I was deciding between the two, when he told me to follow him across the shop. He pulled out a used ball. He said it had belonged to a guy who tries new balls about every month or so. Since the guy didn't like the ball very much, or he had another ball that acted very similar to it, he returned it. Also, he said to give it to a student. I was that lucky student!

It was a nice, 230 dollar ball. it was used, but the previous owner was left handed, so the area that it would spin for him would be different for that of me. It was basically a new 230 dollar ball, except I could get it for the same price as the balls I had been looking at previously. Both my dad and I thought it was a great offer, and so we decided to get it. We also got rubber inserts glued into the holes. The owner said that that is what my coach would want, and also it would be free, since I am a student bowler.

Tonight, I am going to test my new ball out. Since it is heavier, I will have to learn to throw a bit differently. Also, about 2 weeks ago I got new bowling shoes for Christmas. I have been practicing with them, but I am still getting used to them. Additionally, I have never used the rubber inserts that I have in my new ball. Finally, the distance between my thumb hole and other finger holes is greater than that of my old ball, so I will have to deal with that. Hopefully it works out good!

No comments:

Post a Comment