Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Self Evalutation

As I drove away from home today, I noticed that I had forgotten my retainers. I was just down the street, but since I don't have to wear them, I continued driving. For about a month, I have been required to wear my retainers only at night. Even so, I always wear them.

I am in a before school weight lifting class. All I have to do to get an A+ is write my name down on a sheet of paper and signify that I lifted for 30 minutes twice weekly. I go every day for about 45 minutes.

I don't know why I do extra. Even the miniscule act of wearing a retainer is given up by most people. Perhaps it is habit. I don't have to worry about my retainer or think whether or not I have to wake up early if I always do it. Also, getting to lifting early gets me a good parking spot; wearing my retainers keeps my teeth straight.

As I was writing about overacheiving in my first two paragraphs, you probably didn't think that I would be critisizing myself for thinking about myself too much. I suppose I don't consider these acts to be bad, but they are not at all selfless. I wonder if a selfless act is really acheivable. I certainly don't think I can do anything for the sole benefit of somebody else. Even community service makes me feel good.

I'll try to do something totally selfless today. I guess it's for me in a way, because I will be able to write about it, but I'll try to get close anyways.

1 comment: