Sunday, September 27, 2009

Future Evaluation

Today and yesterday, I was in Irondale, Minnesota for a band competition. Over the course of these two days, I had a lot of time to think, and a lot of time to play, and a lot of time to talk to people. This weekend, I thoughtmore about my future than I have in a long time. Much of this pondering branched from shopping, and some came from talking to people.

There is this sophomore, who is a very outgoing and fun individual, who I lived around a lot this trip. I can't seem to grasp the question that I asked him from my memory, but I remember that he responded very negatively about his sister.

He claimed that she isn't polite to anybody other than her friends. He also said something that took me by suprise; he said that she didn't know what she wanted to do when she grew older. My immediate thought, based on the previous knowledge that they were a wealthy family, was that he had been thinking about his future a lot lately, and that his older sister, who is my age, either didn't care about her future yet or had no idea to base her future off of.

He was right; not planning ahead could result in a mediocre job and a mediocre life. Coming from a wealthy family, this would not be satisfactory to her or the family, who could then feel like they had to help her, and also possibly that they had failed at raising her.

To be fair, I also thought of her side. It seemed like the sophomore had his future planned out so that he could get a good education that would lead to a good job and lots of money. But what fun is that? I find myself loving the thrill of spontaneity at least once a week. I will be planning on going home to do homework, when all of a sudden I run into a friend who had a great idea. I quickly ditch the old plan and go play chess at chess club (true story). Now I don't think that the sophomore has no fun, because he is a very exciting person. I just think that he shouldn't be worrying about other people's futures so much. Even his vision for himself could change, after all.

All this happened in about ten seconds. After I quickly analysed what he said and played devil's advocate, I started to think about myself. Where would I go to college? What for? Am I planned enough? Should I be worrying about this now?

I want to go to one or two colleges: First for my undergraduate degree, and then law school. I read somewhere that undergraduates for law should take varied courses that interest them. I think that civil engineering is the coolest thing in the world. I especially love the power the water has and the power we have to control it. I also need critical reading and writing classes. I wil then go to a school that teaches law, whether it is the same school as the undergraduate, or a different one, I don't care. Lastly, I think that I am prepared for the time being: I know what I want to do, I am planning on taking my ACTs, and I am considering colleges.

No comments:

Post a Comment