Monday, September 28, 2009

Comfort Zones

The comfort zone of a person varies dramatically. But not only does it depend on the person whose zone you are talking about, but also the situation that the person is placed into. This can easily be shown by the example of showering. Everyone showers at home, but only a select amount have the courage, selfapproval, and/or the need to shower in a public shower room.

I had to take a 8 hour leadership training class immediately after 4 hours of band camp, because I was a section leader, last August. Over those eight hours, I learned a lot about myself, and about how to be a leader. The man presenting the program to us actively lectured about some obvious leadership traits: Being a rolemodel, helping others who need help, becoming everyone's friend, etc. He also talked about other traits that, over eight hours, he successfully argued were leadership traits. These include not being able to get embarassed and having a vast comfort zone. He reasoned that this large zone would help us be more outgoing and fun, but also that they would help us earn trust and respect.

At the end of that night, I made a rather childish goal for myself. I decided to drink a lot of caffiene the next day so that I could be hyper, and have more fun. I figured that this would help me earn the trust and respect of the kids in my section. I did have fun that week at band camp, though I forgot to drink my caffiene. I increased my comfort bubble considerably that night, and that week, and even still this year.

Just tonight, I had a fantastic time at my jazz band concert because of this speech. I have since largened my bubble to the point that I performed on stage wearing shining bright white slacks, a silky black shirt with the collar popped up to my ears, and a tie, as bright as the pants, that was knotted in such a way that the two flaps hung down in opposite directions, with the small on the left and the big on the right. I will admit that a couple of my friends wore plaid suit jackets, but this was still a great leap for me.

I feel that it is exceptionally easy for me, especially around noncritical friends. I imagine that it is harder for other people to do the things I like to do. I pity them, as they cannot live life to its fullest. But to advocate devilishly at myself, I suppose that they get a thrill out of much lesser things, things like buying an extravagent pair of shoes, even if they are never worn. To me, it will only get harder and harder to fulfill my need for thrill. In this way, I am like a drug addict. Either way, I think that these comfort zones need to be poked at until they eventually extend. The reason for this pordding is to experience what it feels like to live on the edge of your comfort, and feel the thrill. As Miley Cyrus says:

"Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb, yeah"

And since life is just a big mountain we must climb, we might as well try to have fun soing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment