Monday, September 14, 2009

Manual

I didn't mention that my car has manual transmission. Since I did not pick this car, but it was given to me, I had no choice. I don't remember if I ever wanted a manual car before I got it, but I now know that I want my next car to have it. I like driving my car because it makes me feel original. Not everyone can drive one. I'm not saying it's hard, it is just something some people can't do. Also, I like driving it because it helps me pay attention. I can practically sleep when driving an automatic. Of course, it isn't the best looking car, so that is one big downside to driving it, but I have begun to change that.

The shifter used to be a pole sticking out of a peice of cloth with a boring blue-gray knob placed on top. I decided to change the worse of the two problems - the cloth. I went to Auto Zone and picked up a Shifter Boot. It is rubber and folds in and out and has a metal base. Also, I replaced the head of the shifter with one with a metal and leather combonation. It looked great, but the head had to be tightened about once a day. After a couple of months, I finally got annoyed to the point of getting a new head. But instead of buying another one that I would have to tighten every day, I made one.

I had two ideas for making a head. Both, I think, are fantastic. Since I love to play both baseball and table tennis, I decided to incorporate them. I could cut the handle off of a wooden baseball bat, or use the handle of a table tennis paddle. Since I recently broke a paddle, I used the handle idea.

First, I cut off the remaining area that is used to hit the ball with, so that only the handle remained. Then I put the handle into a clamp. So I wouldn't split the wood, I drilled a small hole. I then proceeded to bigger drill bits. Once I had a big enough hole, I attached the handle to the shifter. I then added some electrical tape around the bottom for security and it was finished.

My new shifter works great. Because the handle of the paddle was made for someone to hold, I think it was the perfect head for the shifter. I have shown it around to a couple friends who have all given their utmost approval. I feel crafty to have made something that I get to use every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment