Sunday, September 13, 2009

Result

I ended up getting mad at my girlfriend, who was to be my passenger, immediately preceding the trip. I decided that going alone would let my mind wander, but would ultimately be a long, boring, pointless ride. So I let her go with me. It was a funny ride. It felt like a first date, though we were going to a gas station in another city and we had been dating for almost two years. It felt like she was trying to impress me, rather than to have a comfortable ride. I say this because she would ask me what music I wanted to listen to, and never once asked me for a drink of water, which she took in a second when I offered it. But I think she had a really good time. Perhaps trying to be extra nice to me made me in a better mood, and let both of us have a better time. We laughed and joked when we went down a mile road to a road closed sign (we passed right by the detour notice). She loved seeing the horses and cows. I loved seeing the landscape as we drove over a hill, and feeling the wind through my fingers as my hand hung out the window.

Eventually, after many wrong turns, we found ourselves in Central City. Just as Mr. Jensen said, it was the only place there. But I do not remember seeing as many toothless people as he had informed me of. Maybe it wasn't even the right place. It did, however, have cheese curds and cappicino. I got a large cappicino and a hamburger and an order of cheese curds to share with Alecia. It was fine. I could have gotten a better meal in a gas station in Cedar Rapids. But it was a wonderful first date, in a gas station in Central City.

We saw horses and cattle and a house boat on a trailer trying to squeeze through a construction zone. She smelled grass and cow pies and skunk (I had a stuffed nose, and normally cannot smell very effectively anyways). I got to hover over the gravel roads that are hidden in the maps. I was running from a giant snake made of dust and always managed to stay one step ahead of him. All the while I absorbed the music that was playing extremely loud to compinsate for the wind clapping on the car.

The trip was a great success. I discovered that even a trip to a gas station in the middle of nowhere can be a great time. Also, my car battery ought to be fully charged, and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment