Saturday, April 3, 2010

My GOOD job search

So far, I have worked at some very odd jobs.

My first job was before I was 16, which means it was kind of a joke. I worked as an umpire for little league baseball and softball. It was kind of ironic, because at the time, I played as part of that league. Of course, I never umpired games of my own age group. But what makes this job a joke is that I only umpired around 2 games a week. This means I get paid around $20 per week. Back then, I guess it was okay, though. The weird part about this job was that I was an official, and controlled games, and I was only 15 years old.

I got my second job on the first day of school this school year. I had applied at Randy Kuehl Honda a few weeks earlier. I got called, and immediately went to an interview (not dressed up at all!), and started working that day as a detailer (car washer). This was a weird job because aside from me (16 years old at this point), the youngest person was at least 20 years old. Also, I got to drive expensive, new cars around the lot and into my own personal garage. In this garage, I could listen to any kind of music and any volume I wanted. I got kind of lonely, alone in my garage and temporarily with some old salesmen, but I did like that job.

After the cash for clunkers program and my job ended, I had no job, again. I found another place to go, however. My brother had worked for a call center a few years back. After a few days of searching for it, I finally found it. It wasn't very impressive, but I figured that I could make some money while I was there. Also, they had VERY flexible hours. I needed those flexible hours, because I could only work three days a week, and only after jazz band for a couple hours. I didn't put in much time, but I didn't want to. This job was very boring. All I did was read the same script over and over again. Occasionally, I would come into work and the script would be partially changed. Also, I never really talked to anyone. I'm not saying there weren't nice people. One guy talked to me some. On my first day, he was telling me how this job wasn't that bad: one time he'd gotten cussed out by a french man, and that was hilarious. I disagreed with him. All I got out of that job was a bunch of large headaches and eight dollars an hour (not worth it).

Finally, I got a good job. It, like all the rest of the jobs I have had, makes me work with people who aren't my age, or in this case, gender. I am the only guy (during the school year, at least) that is working at the ice cream parlor, Parlor City. This is my favorite job so far. I am not the only person my age who is working there. Also, I get to work more hours. This last part is partially because I chose to not participate in tennis, so that I could work more. It's nice, though. I'm not constantly talking to customers, like the call center. Also, I get to talk to people, unlike Honda. I can't say I like going to work, but I sure don't dread it.

After three unsuccessful job attempts, I finally found a job that I like and allows me to work a lot. Though I am the only guy, I feel like this job will be more fun and manageable than any I have been to so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment