Monday, April 5, 2010

Grad parties

Lately, I have been getting a lot of facebook invitations to come to graduation parties. I always write them down in my planner, but don't respond to the invitation. I think that multiple people might ask me to go on the same day at the same time. Also, I think I should assess who I know and how close we are, rather than just the first person to invite me at a certain time.

So far, I have 5 invitations. I don't think this is very much, but I do predict a large increase in invitations. I'm not saying that I know a lot of seniors, and that I'm good friends with them, it's just that the people who sent e invitations aren't all too close. I do think I know a lot more seniors better than the seniors who invited me.

Part of the problem is facebook. Too many people can invite too many other people. One example is that I got an invitation to go to someone's party, lets call him Greg Dimagio. Of course, I knew who he was. Obviously this is true, because he is a friend of mine on facebook. Also, I imagine that he remembers me. This may not be true, however. Greg could have just invited everyone on his friend's list and not looked. Perhaps he only accepted my friend request because he was tired and didn't want to make sure he knew me. I know him because he goes to my church, but not very often at all. I took confirmation with him for one year, but never talked to him much. That was at least 4 years ago. Also, since the little amount of time I talked to him in confirmation, I may never have talked to him. But Greg still invited me to his party.

Other 'friends' who invited me are the girl who trained me at work (I worked with her twice so far), the girl that sits by me in one class (but this might actually be okay, because we have lots of discussion and group work in this class), the one guy who I see in band every once in a while, and the kid I hung out with around 2nd grade.

Now my problem is deciding where to go. I could go to Greg's party, or I could go to the girl at work's party. They are kind of far away, so I wouldn't want to try to go to both. But should I even go to one? They invited me, but it might have been on accident. But perhaps it wasn't an accident. Also, who doesn't want tons of guests at their graduation parties? Even if they don't remember my name, at least I showed up to support them. And still the question remains, whose party should I go to? I've known Greg for years, kind of. But I will continue to see the girl at work in the future, whereas I may not see Greg.

I have come up with an answer to my question. It is simple. I will not decide, not yet at least. Perhaps someone that I am good friends with will invite me to their party at the same time as these two, then I would be forced to ditch both of these people who I barely know. Also, if I respond that I will be attending Greg or the girl's part, I will feel more obligated to go to their party, instead of my true friend's.

I will stick with this answer until around May 1st, when the graduates need more help on the numbers of who is going to attend. Also, all invitations should be given by then. Hopefully this will be a good, but unfortunately not final, solution to my problem.

2 comments:

  1. Omg I have the same problem I don't know who is inviting me because they really want me to go or who is inviting me because I am friends with them on facebook...so annoying

    ReplyDelete