Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My ACT Preparation

Many people believe in different ways to prepare for the ACT. Some say that there is no way, and that any studying you do is insignificant. I personally think that with studying, a higher ACT score can be achieved, but not by much.

For around a year, I have been getting daily SAT prep questions from the College Board website. These are past SAT questions that have been used before. I get an email, and usually ignore it. Every once in a while, though, I click on it to test myself.

Sometimes they are easy, sometimes hard. I click on my favorite answer, and another web page pops up. This tells me if I got the answer right, or wrong. Also, it provides an explanation to the answer. This is where I learn from.

Whether or not these SAT prep questions actually help me with my ACT scores, I don't know, but they can't hurt. Also, I might learn something that I can use in college, like the difference between "affect" and "effect", or "who" and "whom".

I took the ACT just the other day, and am waiting for the results. I have no idea when they will be coming in, but I don't want to know. The less I know, the quicker I will forget, and then the less time I will worry about it. Depending on if I raise my score, I may be taking more steps to raising it than just taking daily questions.

My goal is to get at least 30 total. I suppose it is possible for me to have gotten it the other day, but I'm not sure. I didn't feel great about my reading and writing tests, but I didn't have a great score last time either. My science is where I am worrying about, also. I felt okay about parts of it, but that's all. I got a 28 on that section on my last test, and I don't think I will match that score this time. I felt good about my math, though. I remember one question that I couldn't get for sure on my first test, but on the one last weekend, I only missed questions for stupid mistakes (if I missed any at all). My hope is that my math is higher than last time, and that it will raise my total score.

If I don't get a higher score, I will go to Sylvan. Sylvan is a place where struggling students go to get tutored. I am struggling, but not to get into college. I am just struggling to get a better scholarship. Sylvan also has ACT test prep, which is what I am going to go there for. The Assistant Dean of students at Drake University advised me to do this. He said that it is recommended and actually works.

One factor is cost. Sylvan isn't free, but I think I will benefit from going both financially and brainically. Not only will I be smarter (or at least know more random facts), but I will also get more money from a scholarship when my test score raises. This is because of how Drake's scholarship works. Almost everyone gets a standard scholarship, but the amount they get depends on GPA, ACT, and some other scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment