Friday, April 9, 2010

College Applications

A week or so ago, I applied at the local community college, Kirkwood. I am going to take some math classes during high school, and needed to apply to take them.

I went online and filled out a form. It was a very generic type form that anyone can recognize, including name, date, address, SS number, etc. I felt kind of like I was applying for a job somewhere. In no place did I put my current GPA or ACT test scores.

Just a few days ago, I got a letter from Kirkwood admissions. My mom gave it to me, and I decided to go on facebook before opening it, because I figured that doing nothing on facebook would be more exciting than reading a letter that said I was accepted into a college. Eventually, though, I read the letter. I was right in that I got accepted. In the letter, the only important thing that was mentioned was my Kirwood number, which is their version of an identification number.

The next day, my dad came into my room and told me that he heard I got a letter from Kirkwood. He asked what it was about, and I told him that I was accepted. He asked if I had to give my GPA or something, and I told him no, just my name. We had a chuckle out of that.

Hopefully Kirkwood will be a positive experience for me. From visiting and talking with Drake's Dean of students, I learned that getting ahead in math will make my time at Drake very much less packed full, and also that Kirkwood does a good job at teaching. I am thankful for this opportunity, and I look forward to taking Calculus this summer....

No comments:

Post a Comment