Saturday, May 8, 2010

Leaving

Last year, when all the seniors left school, I was happy. Soon, I would be able to leave school myself (for summer break). Also, the lunchroom and hallways would be much less crowded with a fourth of the school's population gone. One I noticed, though, is that I wasn't sad.

Most people were sad when the seniors left. They had friends that they might not ever see again. Also, if they did see them again, it wouldn't be the same. Moving on from high school is a big step, and people were scared (for others and themselves).

But why wasn't I? I didn't have many senior friends. This is a big reason. There wasn't anyone who I would really miss after they were gone. But still, there were some people who I would never get to see again. Shouldn't I have some emotion?

This brings me back to yesterday, when I was working. Elizabeth, one of my co-workers, was quitting her job. She said that yesterday would be her last day working with me. We might not be friends, but we were always friendly to each other. I play volleyball and sometimes scrimmage the 15 year old kids that she coaches, so we always trash-talked each other a lot. Also, when she was in the back at work, I called that we needed cheddar nuggets (one of the better food items we sell). We did not need cheddar nuggets. I ate the cheddar nuggets she gave me. While I don't think this makes us friends, I think I should still miss her a little. But I don't.

But why don't I? Maybe I miss them just as much as anyone else would in my position, but I just don't react to it as strongly. Or maybe I just ignore that they are leaving, without thinking about it. Does my "missing someone" emotion not work as well, or do I just not get as attached to people as others?

No comments:

Post a Comment