Saturday, May 1, 2010

AP Tests

Recently I've noticed that there is a big test coming fast. The AP test was scheduled for next week a few months (at least) ago. I never realized just how close they were until a couple days ago. I'm only in one AP class, so I'm not too worried. I heard that the AP Lang test wasn't extremely hard to get a passing grade on, but I'm still a little worried.

This is the kind of thing that I don't like: a huge test that makes or breaks it for the students. I could so all the AP Lang projects and homework and work very hard all year to get all As, but if I don't do well on the test, I don't get the credit.

My solution to this problem is to not take AP classes, or at least not many. Next year I will take from 0-3 AP classes. I may or may not go into any of them.

One is AP German. My plan is to go to Drake, where I don't need any foreign language requirement at all. Why, then would I waste my time with German? Also, getting college credit in foreign language has never been a goal for me. The most language I would ever have to take to graduate any college (that I am considering) is four years of high school. I am only considering AP German at all because it is easier than German 4. The way this works is that there are so few German students that German 4 and AP German is one class. Therefore, the tests are the same. The only difference is that AP German students get a little more homework. But when the AP student gets a B on the test, it counts like an A. When the German 4 student gets a B, it is still a B. Also, all homework in German is completion points, so every assignment that AP students do raise their grades. But German, in any form, is still not needed for me, and a waste of time (in regards to requirements).

The next AP class I am considering taking is AP Economics. I haven't taken the high level AP social studies classes (Human Geography, World History, European History, and US History) since freshman year, when I took Human Geography. I hated it, but hear that it only got worse from there. I am glad that I didn't continue, and am hesitant to get into AP Econ. It is more of a math class (I think), so it should be easier for me than a class like AP Government. A downside is that I would not only have to take 3 terms of AP Econ, but also one term of government. As it is, I am trying to take fewer classes, not more. Also, I can take econ in college faster.

The final AP class I was considering taking, but highly doubt I will pursue, is AP Calculus. Instead of taking this class in 3 terms, I am going to take it over the summer at Kirkwood (only Calc I, not AP Calc). I like this idea because I will be done with the class before my classmates have even started it. Also, I don't have to take an AP Test that makes or breaks me, depending on how well I think in a certain couple hours on a certain day. By taking this summer class, I will be able to take Calc II and Calc III during school. This is why I wanted to take fewer classes: to allow me time to get to Kirkwood and back. By the time I get to college, I will be two classes closer to taking the actuary tests, which will show companies that they should hire me. Also, my field is harder than many, so 2 fewer classes can only help the course-load.

No comments:

Post a Comment