Monday, March 8, 2010

Revised Essay

I have decided that I will be switching my topic from criminal profiling (with a focus on statistics and the actuarial approach), to the rights airlines have to refuse people to fly. This topic was brought to my attention through a radio broadcast, where a talk show host claimed that someone had gotten kicked off of a plane because he smelled badly. So far, research for this topic has been very successful, and I imagine that it will be a good topic to switch to.

I started my reserach by googling "getting kicked off of a plane". My first few results were almost exactly what I was looking for. The first was a video clip and article about a Kyla Ebberts, who was asked to leave a plane because she was wearing too skimpy clothing. She then negotiated with the man to let her remain on the plane if she covered herself with a blanket and pulled her sweater together.

This article was exactly what I was looking for. A young woman, who wasn't a terrorist threat, was asked to leave a plane for a very minuscule problem. Also, after watching more of the video, I found out that there is no dress code for the airport Miss Ebberts was at. The problem in the case of this story wasn't that the woman couldn't ride the plane, but that she was embarrassed.

I then found another story about a Muslim family. They had been talking about which section of the plane would be the safest (by the wing, the front, or the rear), and someone must have reported their "dangerous" conversation. This article was not what I was looking for, however, because this family, though obviously innocent, were taken off the plane because of a potential terrorist threat.

The third article I found was a good one. A mother and her autistic son were kicked off of a plane because she couldn't make her boy keep quiet. Also the boy kept trying to crawl out of his seat belt. When the stewardess came to try to get the boy under control, she made him more upset. The mother claimed that she had brought games and toys for the boy, to settle him down, but the stewardess refused to let her use them. Since they had no under the seat storage (because they were in the first row), they were required to put the toys in the overhead compartment, where they couldn't get to them.

I think that this article could be used in my essay, because it addresses an issue that is partially the fault of the airline. Also, at the very end of the article, the woman says that she will never ride on those specific airlines again. I could use this as an argument for airlines being able to do whatever they want.

I plan on taking the side that the airlines should be able to kick people off of planes whenever they want. The way I see it, is that if the airlines kick people off frequently, people will stop going to those airports and they will go out of business or have to down-size. Also, by taking out people who are disturbing others, most of the population will have a much better experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment