Thursday, February 4, 2010

Scholarships

I wrote a brief autobiography for a potential scholarship. This is my first one, and I made it in maybe ten minutes while sick, but I think it turned out okay.

I wrote about my participation in German club, band, bowling, baseball, and volleyball. I also provided my ACT and GPA scores. By providing this information, I came up with the thesis that I would be a good college student.

I got an account for a few sites that help students in getting scholarships. They provide advice, links, and many scholarship opportunities. One that I went to even has its own scholarship.

Some scholarships given have very odd requirements. I've seen ones given only to openly gay or lesbian college hopefuls, Czech or Slovak ancestry, and even students who survived cancer (I think that is what it was, but it doesn't sound very practical).

Being an average health, Caucasian male doesn't help me any with scholarship opportunities. There are no scholarships that exclude a majority of people applying, but include me. Also, The scholarships that I can apply for are the ones that focus on academics. I have an okay GPA, and a pretty good ACT score, but they aren't anything substantially good.

I have a feeling that I will be getting a lot of student loans, and have to pay them off for a long time. I don't know how much money my parents are going to help me out with. It's true that my brother didn't go to college, but he got lots of other things like counseling that costs a lot. Also, it is hard for me to judge how much money my parents have. We have a pretty nice house (but not a huge, 3-story mansion), but my mom still insists on getting the cheap Hy-Vee brand cereal that tastes considerably worse, and the toilet paper that is much coarser than the soft stuff that costs ten cents more. On the other hand, the two big screen TVs (one never gets used) and recent remodeling of the whole upstairs says otherwise.

However long it takes, scholarships can always help. Also, the more I apply, the more I will get. Writing a good essay about myself is going to be my next step in trying to get scholarships. It is nice that they want only 300ish word essays, rather than 900-1200 (which is way too high, even for revised essays >:-(), so it shouldn't be too hard. Also I will need to find people who could write letters of recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment