Friday, February 5, 2010

Calcium

Calcium. Good, right? Most vitamins have no significant downside, or if they do they must be taken in very large amounts (I have heard of the deterioration of skin, but maybe that is completely crazy). Unfortunately for me, I had a bad experience with calcium.

My dad and I (who share most of the same moles... weird right?) both had an annoying mole, and though it wasn't horribly huge or gross, he decided that we could get them taken off.

We went to a skin doctor, who my dad liked (I'm not sure why he went there in the first place, but I'm not sure I want to question). The old guy was very nice and funny, and also painted the pictures that hung around the office.

After getting our moles taken off, which was a very easy and quick procedure, I asked about a lump that I had on my shoulder. I didn't remember it always being there, but I supposed that it could have been. Also, I explained how it felt like there was a little black (I could barely see it) hard pebble in my skin. I could squeeze it around a little, but it would start to hurt, so I would discontinue.

He wasn't sure what it was, but he said that he would take it out. After taking it out, and coming back for a return visit, he told me that it was a deposit of calcium. He said that it wasn't a problem to worry about, and left it as is.

Taking it out wasn't hard at all. I laid onto a medical bed thing (?) and he got to work. First, he gave me some shots around the calcium, which numbed the area. He then took a knife and cut into my skin around the calcium. I remember because I was watching, as my blood tickled my arm. Of course, the numbing worked very effectively. He then burnt my blood vessels, which stopped the blood from flowing. When the blood stopped (mostly), he stitched up my shoulder.

I didn't get much of a reaction, considering it was on my shoulder and not very visible. Some people did make comments, though. My brother said it looked like I got shot (but really, how would he know that?). But what he said made some sense. The bullet would go in, get pulled out, then stitched up. That is kind of like the calcium thing, right?

Now, I have a scar. It is probably only a centimeter by 3 centimeters. It is a light shade of pink and slightly bulges out (but not very noticeably). It is certainly nothing to brag about, but it may be a topic of attention. Of course, it would only get brought up if I was somewhere like a pool, and the people I were with got VERY bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment